Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Dynamic mics for home recording

I love dynamic mics!
Two of my favorites: Shure SM57
 and Beyerdynamic M400

I've got a few condenser microphones but I almost never use them, for one simple reason. The acoustics in the room where I play and record are really bad.

What does that have to do with not using condenser mics? Simple. Condenser mics are super sensitive and pick up every sound in the room. Including all the unwanted sounds. Bad natural reverbs, and other weird audio phenomena, in a poor room will make your recordings sound amateurish.

Dynamic mics, with their lower sensitivity, will often pick up less of the unwanted bad acoustics. Just be sure to use them close to the sound source!
They may not be right for everything, but give one a try for an afternoon and see if it actually improves the sound of your home recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment